Sunday, December 29, 2013

My first ever milkpaint experience

I'm happy to be able to say that I am no longer a milk paint virgin!  I'm happy because it's now my new favorite medium.  Not for painting landscapes, but for painting furniture.
Milk paint has been used for centuries, and I love the finish and colonial look that it has.  It adheres very well to untreated wood [looks like a paint but acts like a stain] and gives a nice chippy look when painted over an existing finish.
I have been wanting to try it for months, but just couldn't bring myself to spend $22 for a quart of the powdered stuff, and I got a little discouraged from painting furniture after my jewelry box [fiasco].  I can say that now because I've realized that I could have done better.  I actually re-did it the other night with a crackle medium over the blue, which I topped with a whitish-gray, but I'm still not 100% satisfied.  I plan to try one last time with milk paint.
-- Anyway... I didn't want to spend $22 on the pre-made powdered milk paint, ao I tried making it myself.  After 2 failed attempts using milk curds, I ended up finding a recipe using powdered milk and bki g soda, so I tried it.  The 1st and 2nd attempts came out waaaay too watery, so I just kept adding more milk powder and baking soda until I got the thickness I was looking for.  Milk paint is supposed to be thin but should still give you decent coverage..




This was a mini untreated wooden sled that I got at goodwill.  I used 2 layers of milk paint on it and sanded it to a nice, vintage looking finish.  I love how it came out!

...But of course I needed to experiment on something with an existing finish...



So I painted my boring bread box... And I love the chippy look that the milk paint gave it :)

This could get dangerous...





No comments:

Post a Comment