Thursday, December 5, 2013

★ DIY Christmas Tree Star Topper ★

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!  It has been quite a week for me, but the end is near!  I just keep counting the days until my 12 day Christmas vacation.  Only 15 more days left!!!

I have been busy lately, and have several Christmas-themed DIY tutorials coming (as well as a finished painting that will be revealed in the coming weeks).  I have also been working on my biggest (at least in size) project to date, and am looking forward to revealing it very soon!

Andy and I did our traditional "day after Thanksgiving Christmas decorating" over the weekend.  When I pulled out our Christmas star I was disappointed to see that it was coming apart (although I did buy it at the dollar store about 3 years ago, so I can't really say that I'm too surprised).  But it did get my creativity gears turning!
This is a star that, like I said, I purchased at a dollar store at least 3 years ago.  It is made of soft plastic and is hollow on the inside.  It had glitter and foil on it that was peeling, so I just decided to help it along...

I thought it would be easier than it was (the glitter especially was a pain)... but with a little elbow grease I got all of the crud off.


















And again comes my failure to take any "during" photos.  Basically I painted every other side of the star either red, green, or gold.  I took my trusty container of all-spice that I use to grunge up my crafts and sprinkled some of it over the wet paint.  When the paint was dry I sealed everything in with mod podge.
Then I took strips of red and green plaid fabric and mod podged them onto the remaining surfaces and allowed those to dry.  Once they were dry, I carefully cut off the excess fabric, and sealed those with mod podge.  Here is the finished product...


































I also painted the "neck" with gold paint and added allspice.  Sorry I don't have a closer-up photo, but I didn't even remember to take one until it was up on top of the tree.  You get the idea :)



No comments:

Post a Comment