Monday, September 23, 2013

★Painting: Classic New England Saltbox in Autumn & NEW DOORS!★

Happy Monday!
I had quite a busy weekend this morning (although arguably Andy's was much busier).  I finished my latest painting on Saturday night, and I'm very excited because I think this one is my best yet!  I can't remember the dimensions, but I believe that it is a 16x20 inch canvas, which is quite large, so it will make the PERFECT showcase painting for the art show, especially since it's an autumn painting & an autumn art show.  The painting is based off of the Nehemiah Royce House, which is the oldest standing house in the town of Wallingford, where we live.











The house is now owned by the Wallingford Historical Society and is being restored to open as a museum.  When we first moved to Wallingford two years ago, the house was painted red.  Within the past year or so they have begun restoration on it by installing a new roof, new windows, and white siding (apparently they determined that the house was probably originally white), but I had to keep the red color, because personally I loved the red color on the house.  The house has a lot of history behind it, because George Washington stopped there twice on his way through Wallingford and made speeches to the townspeople both before and after the revolutionary war.  The house is simply beautiful and full of history!  The landscape itself was my own doing, but the house is based on that house in Wallingford.  It is now hanging proudly in our living room :)



Also, yesterday, we FINALLY painted our exterior doors, like we've been talking about (loosely) since we moved in two years ago!  Both doors were white, which was boring since the house is also white, and the paint was flaking and chipping drastically on both doors.  It wasn't very high on our priority list since it was only a cosmetic issue, rather than a structural one.  But it's finally done!!  My dad helped us sand the doors almost down to the bare wood, since the paint was chipping so badly, and we primed and painted them.  The front one is like a barn red, and the back is a royal blue.  So much better than dirty, chippy white!  The hardware on both doors, as we found out, is solid brass.  The front door hardware was painted black, so I got some black paint and touched it up, and I painted the hardware on the back door to match the front, since it was very tarnished and didn't want to come clean!



No comments:

Post a Comment